Work for Us
Camp Yojoa are looking for dedicated and hardworking people to become camp counsellors who specialise in our electives and are willing to go above and beyond for our campers. Read more about our Counsellor job description below;
Camp Counsellor Job Description
Camp Yojoa counsellors live and work on site for the duration of camp where they are the primary care takers of our campers throughout their stay. Camp counsellors mentor and guide our campers aged 7-17 to support their learning and development at camp. Counsellors will have a cabin group of around 6-10 campers and will be responsible for their safety and well-being, as well as being their main point of contact at camp. Counsellors are expected to supervise the campers at all times and ensure each campers’ needs are met.
Counsellors are role models to our campers and are there to build positive relationships with them and make their time at camp fun, memorable and unique. In this role every day is different and you will have to deal with many issues that come with working with children and young people away from home and in a different country. Despite this, being a camp counsellor is one of the most rewarding roles as you get to see campers grow, develop, learn, make lifelong friends and truly be the best versions of themselves.
Camp Counsellors receive a pay of £600 as well as room and board for the duration of camp.
All staff must complete a police check before undertaking this role.
Camp Dates; 2nd August – 16th August (one week of training prior to camp dates)
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead a cabin group of 6-10 campers with day to day life at camp;
- Organise and lead one of the camp electives which includes the creation of risk assessments and proper use of equipment
(please state which elective in your application);
- English (TEFL/PGDE/PGCE qualified)
- Performing Arts
- Arts and Crafts
- Outdoor Adventure
- Mad Science
- Assist directors and fellow counsellors with the general running of camp.
- Provide attentive supervision during camp activities to ensure camp health and safety guidelines are being followed.
- Act as a positive role model and set an example by embodying camp Yojoa’s values
- Lead/participate or encourage participation in skits, songs and campfire performances
- Establish trusting relationships with campers
- Use positive behaviour management tools to deal with challenging behaviour.
- Provide pastoral care to support campers’ health and wellbeing.
- Go above and beyond to ensure the needs of the campers are met.
- Have lots of fun!
How to apply?
To apply for our Camp Yojoa counsellor role please send you CV and a supporting statement telling us why you think you are suitable for this role to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send your CV and supporting statement – Group Assessment Day & 1:1 interview – Training – Start of Role